Now more than ever, our most vulnerable citizens need our help, which is why we want to promote the JLNO’s Diaper Bank. Diapers are very basic necessities. Here are the statistics, according to the National Diaper Bank Network:
- 1 in 3 American families reports experiencing diaper need.
- 5 million children in the U.S. aged three or younger live in poor or low-income families.
- Infants require up to 12 diapers per day, toddlers about 8.
- Disposable diapers can cost $70 to $80 per month per baby.
- No state or federal child safety-net program allocates dollars specifically for the purchase of diapers.
- Without transportation, buying diapers at a convenience store rather than a large “big box” store can significantly increase the monthly cost of diapers.
- Most childcare centers, even free and subsidized facilities require parents to provide a day’s supply of disposable diapers.
The Junior League’s program was founded in 2014. Each year it has has grown and and its leadership has scaled the project. Their goal this year is to distribute 1,000,000 diapers. And they are on track to meet that goal. In addition to their regular monthly distribution, they partnered with Second Harvest Food Bank to get diapers and period products to those in need due to COVID-19. In the past few weeks they have donated 285,000 period products and 72,000 diapers to the Greater New Orleans area.
If you have the means, please consider donating to this worthwhile cause. Because the JLNO headquarters are closed, they are asking people to make donations through their Amazon wish list or directly to their Diaper Bank fund. There are other ways to help with this project; just take a look at their website.
If you or someone you knows is in need of these products, per JLNO, please visit the following distribution sites:
Victory Fellowship, 5708 Airline Dr., Metairie, La. (504-733-5005) – every Thursday 6 – 8 pm & every Sunday 12 pm – 2 pm
Lovetouch Ministries, 2025 Whitney Ave., Gretna (504-405-1223) – every Monday through Friday 10 am – 2 pm
St. Jerome Pantry, 2402 33rd St., Kenner, La. (504-443-3174) Every Wednesday 1 pm -3:30 pm
Hispanic Resource Center, 4312 Florida, Kenner, La. (open Monday through Friday – may need to call first (504-469-2570). This site distributes a lot of diapers.
Broadmoor Pantry, 2021 S Dupre St., New Orleans, La. (504-701-4804) (Monday and Wed. 10 am – 3:30 pm)
NET Charter High School, 6601 Franklin Ave., New Orleans, La. 70122 (504-267-9060)
Hope the Food Pantry, 13040 I-10 Service Rd., New Orleans, La. (504-940-1654) (Tuesday through Friday 12 pm to 5 pm and Saturday 9 am – 1 pm)
St. Peter Claver Pantry, 1923 St. Philip St., New Orleans, La (504-827-0707) (Tuesday and Thursday 10 am – 2 pm)